Friday, April 3, 2015

Hard to Understand this World

I found myself thinking of whats going on in the world and trying to make sense of it way too much lately, may be thats what it means to be a grownup? I dont know. I mean I woke yesterday to the news of Al Shabaab attack on a college in Kenya with 47 people reported killed. Today the number has gone up to almost 200. I mean imagine how many family will be going to church this sunday wondering how come God didn't save their loved ones instead of cellebrating the resuruction of Jesus.
 I am not trying a religious piece but I cant ignore the fact that all these killings happened in the name of reliogion. It seems that a lot of bad things are done in the name of religion. I have heard a lot of muslims in the media saying Islam is about peace but I sure have a lot of problems believing that. It may be true the killings that are done in the name of islam dont represent the majority of the muslim but there must be something wrong in the teaching of this faith that make people feel that its okay to hunt other human for sport.
When you look at most of the problems facing the world today you will fing the influence of religion underlying them. Start with Somalia with the Al Shabaab who seems to be trying to bring chaos to more East African countries. They have successful carried attacks in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania. Staying in the continent, to the west we find Boka Haram in Nigeria. Like Al Shabaab, Boka Haram has recently carried attacks outside of Nigeria. Both of thse groups use religion to justfy the killings they carry out. But unlike Boka Haram who kill undescriminently, Al Shabaab take there time to separate the christians from muslim before the slaughter the christians.
In other war zones of the world like Syria and Iraq or even Mynmar religion is responsible for a lot of human sufferings. But do not for once think the West is immune in using religion as a way to guide ones behavior even when that behavior causes suffering. States of Indiana and Arkansas have just passed a legislation that will make discrimination legal. As much as they may try to say that is not what his new legislation is about but do we really need to be told. You can deny services on religious ground. What religious faith? I mean that automatically put the gay and lesbian in the cold. Now what if I say my religion does not allow me to be near a black person,or a white person, of an Indian? Are we not making steps backwards. I am sure these lawmakers had no idea what they were creating was just another form of discrimination. How would they have known while they couldnt even tell if they were at church or at a legislative assembly.

No comments:

Post a Comment